Skip to main content

A Fool For Christ - 2nd Corinthians 11:1 - 31

Thursday, August 6 –

Today we continue in 2nd Corinthians.  We will be reading part 2 of what we began yesterday, as Paul makes a passionate appeal to the Church, and opens our eyes to the world Paul has lived for twenty years is.  Read 2 Corinthians 11:1 – 33.  After you have read the passage, I will invite you to return here so that we can look at it again.

 

“ I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me!” (11:1 ).  The opening verse is a continuation of what he had been previously speaking to them about.  He began an appeal to them in chapter 10 to understand what ministering to the church in Corinth had meant to him.  He’s addressing the false preachers who have tried to sway the hearts and minds of the Corinthians and call Paul a huckster.  It’s not Paul who is deceptive, it’s the false gospel preachers, and Paul wants the Corinthians to hear him out.  What he began in chapter 10 will not be finished until tomorrow when we get to chapter 12.  Today, as you well remember, Paul’s emotional appeal is not something he has enjoyed writing to them.  Chapters 10 – 12 are some of the most highly emotionally charged, and most difficult things to read because Paul hated writing them.  He feels foolish – it is beneath his dignity – but what is at stake is the future of the Church and their faith in the Gospel by which they believed.  We need to understand why it is essential to read.

“For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.  But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.  For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough” (11:2-4).  There have always been false teachings, false preaching because there has always been a serpent – Satan – behind them.  The false teachers have a different gospel – one that is no gospel at all.  While they portray themselves charismatically (11:5-6), nevertheless, their motives are money (11:7-12).  In other words, “there’s nothing new under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 1:9).

Paul uses a distinctive word for our translated English word, “another Jesus,” in vs. 4.  When we say another, we have a context that helps determine what we mean.  “Would you like another cup of coffee?” means another cup just like the one you had.  “Would you like to take another flight instead?” means, a different one.  It is still a flight, but not the same one.  The Greek word for “another” is “heteros,” and while we use context, the Greeks used distinctive words.  Heteros means “another of a different kind” – as in our word “heterosexual.”  It means a human, but not the same gender human.  It’s a crucial distinction.  Paul is reminding them that the Jesus these teachers brought to them is not the same Jesus he proclaimed to them.  Paul was admittedly not very charismatic (11:6), but more importantly, he didn’t come to take financial advantage of them (11:7-9).  In contrast, the false apostles had no inhibitions, and Paul wants them to see through their charade –
“For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.  And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.  So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds” (11:13-15).

The word choices translated in 11:16-21 are not easy to read.  What is Paul getting at?  Eugene Peterson paraphrased these verses in “The Message Bible,” and it helps us make sense of what Paul is writing.
“Let me come back to where I started—and don't hold it against me if I continue to sound a little foolish. Or if you'd rather, just accept that I am a fool and let me rant on a little.  I didn't learn this kind of talk from Christ.  Oh, no, it's a bad habit I picked up from the three-ring preachers that are so popular these days.  Since you sit there in the judgment seat observing all these shenanigans, you can afford to humor an occasional fool who happens along.  You have such admirable tolerance for impostors who rob your freedom, rip you off, steal you blind, put you down—even slap your face!  I shouldn't admit it to you, but our stomachs aren't strong enough to tolerate that kind of stuff. Since you admire the egomaniacs of the pulpit so much (remember, this is your old friend, the fool, talking), let me try my hand at it” (11:16-21).
We can sense Paul’s uncomfortability in writing the words, but we can also sense how fed up he was with their gullibility.  While Paul feels “foolish” for writing it, he also wants them to see how foolish they were in accepting the false teachers into their midst.

Every instructor has credentials that allow him to say; I can teach this.  The false teachers had credentials too (11:22-23).  Hebrews? Yes, - so was Paul; Israelite? Yes – so was Paul; Descendants of Abraham? Yes, -  so was Paul;  Servants of Christ? – they say they were, but Paul knows better and has many different credentials to prove it –
“Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers;  in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.  And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches” (11:24-28). 
Paul’s history of a life of service was not in five-star accommodations. The case Paul makes is that his weakness are his credentials!  His life, since becoming a Christian, has been full of hardships, danger, loss, and concern for others.  He doesn’t write this to seek pity or seek applause.  He wrote it to make it clear – he gave up everything for the sake of the Gospel.

“Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to fall, and I am not indignant?  If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness” (11:29-30). Weakness, not strength.  Gospel, not religion.  There’s an old German proverb that says, “Tell me who/what you are fighting, and I’ll tell you who you are.”  Will we be faithful to the message of the Gospel?  When the truth is at stake, Paul is willing to lay it all on the line.  Forget the TV programs that want your money.  Realize the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, and others are preaching “another different” Jesus.  Be willing to stand and look like a fool in insisting that the Gospel says Jesus is “the only way, the only truth, the only life.”  Discernment, doctrine, Gospel integrity, all matter when the souls of people are at stake.  When we remember we are servants of Christ, we recognize that Christ died for us, and for all who will put their trust in him. Go back and read 2nd Corinthians 5:14-21, where Paul powerfully said, “that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation” (5:19). 

Fools? To the world, Christians who cast their singular faith and hope on Jesus Christ are “foolish.”  Yet, Paul reminds us – “The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, he who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying” (11:31).  Jim Eliot committed his life to serve Christ and, along with four other men, went to Ecuador in 1952 to reach the Quechua (Auca) Indians.  They were all ambushed and killed during an attempt to meet some of the Indians.  His journal entry on October 28, 1949, was written while considering whether or not he should go to the mission field.  He wrote that following Jesus was more important than his life, and wrote down the words Jesus spoke from Luke 9:24 – “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."  He wrote in his journal, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." He followed the journal entry with a citation from Luke 16:9 "that when it shall fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations."[1]  I pray it is in us – to live our lives for that singular purpose.

 

Peace



[1] Jim Eliot’s journals are held at the Billy Graham Center Archives, Wheaton, Il.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Well

As Jesus came to  his last hours on the earth, he spent them with his disciples - a show of his dedication to their special relationship with him.  If it were me and I knew this was my last night, I might want to take time to talk about what's important, and what they must remember....and perhaps it would be about doctrine, or beliefs, faith, etc.  Jesus goes a different direction: John 13:1-17 (NIV) 1 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. 2 The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured w...

Betrayed by Failed Expectations

No one names their children Judas.  No other name is more recognized as anathema than his name.    It's hard to sort out what to do with Judas.  He walked with Jesus, learned from him, saw the miracles, knew what Jesus was up to early on.  Yet when it came down to it he betrayed Jesus. What's perhaps more amazing is that it doesn't surprise Jesus at all. John 13:18-32 (NIV) 18 "I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.' 19 "I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. 20 I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me." 21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." 22 His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know ...

Joy to the World - Help is On the Way

It’s the first day of Advent– while you prepare for Worship this morning at church take a minute to ask God to direct you through this season that you might be prepared to “receive your King”. In the first week of Advent we celebrate the PROMISE of His Coming. His promise is based on our need. We were made in his image, but there is emptiness in our soul that is the result of the Fallen nature of sin. But why did Jesus come? What in his coming announces God's heart? His desire for us to know and experience? 10 BUT THE ANGEL SAID TO THEM, "DO NOT BE AFRAID; FOR BEHOLD, I BRING YOU GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY WHICH WILL BE FOR ALL THE PEOPLE; 11 FOR TODAY IN THE CITY OF DAVID THERE HAS BEEN BORN FOR YOU A SAVIOR, WHO IS CHRIST THE LORD. GREAT JOY! Did you know that God is Joyful? 1 CHRONICLES 16:23-27 (NASB) 23 SING TO THE LORD, ALL THE EARTH; PROCLAIM GOOD TIDINGS OF HIS SALVATION FROM DAY TO DAY. 24 TELL OF HIS GLORY AMONG THE NATIONS, HIS WONDERFUL DEEDS AMONG ALL THE PEOPLES....