Skip to main content

Why Celebrate Advent?

 “Why celebrate Advent?”

For many Evangelical and Charismatic churches, Advent remains a “distant”, if not unnecessary event of the church’s celebrations.  That is sad but true, and I know it to be true because I’ve lived the entirety of my adult years as a part of those churches.  In my experience, Christmas was warmly greeted, but the season of Advent that leads up to Christmas was not embraced at all.  Advent for most of my friends was a strange time that “others” got into, not them.

I grew to love the season of Advent – slowly.  I did not start my Christian walk with it, but several years into my walk with Christ I embraced it.  Why?  Because I was leading a church and busy “in Christmas”, but did not see the beauty of Christ in the Incarnation – the reason why we even celebrate Christmas.  I put all of my attention on getting to the one day, Christmas, and missed the days of celebration that led up to it. 

It was Helmut Thielicke who said, “When I am asked why as a Christian I celebrate Christmas, my first reply is that I do so because something has happened to me, and therefore — but only as I am receptive and give myself to it — something can [now] happen in me.”1

In celebrating Advent, something began to happen in me.  Now, Advent is the most treasured of all times in my year.  While I acknowledge the importance of many of the other Christian church yearly celebrations (as well as incorporating a number of the Jewish festivals into celebrations), I have discovered the richness and joy of entering into Advent. When I celebrate Advent – year after year – something happens “in” me.  Something happened to me in receiving Christ as Savior and Lord, but to discover the richness of Christ “being formed” in me (Galatians 4:19) – that is an intentional, purposeful and, I might add, delightful experience that Advent brings to me.



1 Helmut Thielicke quoted from Christianity Today, Dec. 9, 1988, page 21.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Well

As Jesus came to  his last hours on the earth, he spent them with his disciples - a show of his dedication to their special relationship with him.  If it were me and I knew this was my last night, I might want to take time to talk about what's important, and what they must remember....and perhaps it would be about doctrine, or beliefs, faith, etc.  Jesus goes a different direction: John 13:1-17 (NIV) 1 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. 2 The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured w...

Betrayed by Failed Expectations

No one names their children Judas.  No other name is more recognized as anathema than his name.    It's hard to sort out what to do with Judas.  He walked with Jesus, learned from him, saw the miracles, knew what Jesus was up to early on.  Yet when it came down to it he betrayed Jesus. What's perhaps more amazing is that it doesn't surprise Jesus at all. John 13:18-32 (NIV) 18 "I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.' 19 "I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. 20 I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me." 21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." 22 His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know ...

Joy to the World - Help is On the Way

It’s the first day of Advent– while you prepare for Worship this morning at church take a minute to ask God to direct you through this season that you might be prepared to “receive your King”. In the first week of Advent we celebrate the PROMISE of His Coming. His promise is based on our need. We were made in his image, but there is emptiness in our soul that is the result of the Fallen nature of sin. But why did Jesus come? What in his coming announces God's heart? His desire for us to know and experience? 10 BUT THE ANGEL SAID TO THEM, "DO NOT BE AFRAID; FOR BEHOLD, I BRING YOU GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY WHICH WILL BE FOR ALL THE PEOPLE; 11 FOR TODAY IN THE CITY OF DAVID THERE HAS BEEN BORN FOR YOU A SAVIOR, WHO IS CHRIST THE LORD. GREAT JOY! Did you know that God is Joyful? 1 CHRONICLES 16:23-27 (NASB) 23 SING TO THE LORD, ALL THE EARTH; PROCLAIM GOOD TIDINGS OF HIS SALVATION FROM DAY TO DAY. 24 TELL OF HIS GLORY AMONG THE NATIONS, HIS WONDERFUL DEEDS AMONG ALL THE PEOPLES....