Skip to main content

Advent or Christmas? - My Story

From the Preface of my Christmas Devotional book on Amazon:  "An Advent Sojourn" 

Advent or Christmas? My Story

 Advent celebrates that God entered into our world the first time as Immanuel – “God with us” in Jesus Christ (John 1:1-14).  Now, beyond that first coming, it reminds us that God will come back again, entering into our world in full redemption when Jesus returns a second time.

Advent reminds me that to know God I must begin where God began – where the “eternal word became human and lived for a while among us” (John 1:14, The Message).  I do not celebrate Advent because I have nothing else to do around the Christmas season.  I celebrate Advent because I want to be immersed in the story that reminds me over and over again that God saw in us, his people, the beauty and wonder of His “image” - so much so that he entered into redemption through the act of the Incarnation – Jesus, the Word became flesh.

Why I wanted Advent instead of just Christmas?

 My own journey to embrace Advent began late, in my adult years.  I was raised in a family of eight and Christmas was my favorite time of the year.  Not only did we get vacation from school, but we knew that with Christmas came presents under a tree.  Most of what I remember about December was that it was a busy time of shopping, decorations, various parties and Church pageants.  There were two days that we kept our eyes focused towards:  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  The other days in that month seemed to drag on endlessly as we waited for those two days to arrive.

 On Christmas Eve our church’s Christmas Eve service was a pageant, which meant that I, along with my peers, stood up in front the congregation nervously trying to remember the passage of scripture we were assigned to recite.   That done, we hurried home to wait Christmas Day.  Christmas was bedlam as we opened presents – which was the goal of what Christmas was about for me.  Our family ate a gigantic meal that was second only to Thanksgiving.  Once the meal was finished and the relatives gone home, life returned to normal.  This was Christmas for me year after year until age 20.

 As a young 20 year college student, I encountered faith in Christ all over again and I gave my heart and life to Christ.  It was not indicative of the way I lived my life as a teen, but an encounter with scripture aided by a faithful witness and the work of the Holy Spirit pointed me towards Jesus.  God drew me to himself, and I fell headlong into the life of a committed, passionate believer.  I entered that life with a desire to learn all I could so that I could live my faith with all sincerity before Christ, and others.  I grew in my faith, and eventually decided God wanted me to serve Him full time in ministry.

Interestingly, not much changed in relation to Christmas.  The church I became part of didn’t do anything different with Christmas than what I was raised in, even though I was immersed in expositional preaching and discipleship.  As a young believer the church’s message was that Jesus Christ died for your sins, and this is why he came, so trust Him as your Savior. There seemed little interest in celebrating his arrival - just the purpose of His coming was important. Since the major emphasis was on salvation, the majesty and mystery of the Incarnation was ignored. 

 I went to a Seminary to follow God’s call to serve in vocational ministry.  The Seminary I attended did not mention the season of Advent.  The Incarnation was a topic for Biblical Theology, but the mystery of God that marked the Advent season was not a focus for celebration.  Advent was for the “high church” people.  The liturgy of seasonal celebrations was deemed to be inappropriate for a real “Spirit-led” ministry.

In Church History I studied the story of the church – its beginnings, growth and development – and it gave me a broad brush to see how the church worshipped Christ through the two millenniums.  My perspective on the contemporary church I was part of went through a change as I witnessed the Church’s history unfold.  Jesus said, “I will build my church…”, and I could see that change over the 2000 years of growth.  My perceptions of the church broadened as I saw how God moved through faithful men and women from many different streams of church life.  I hungered for a deeper experience of God’s life at work in me.

 I graduated from Seminary and began to pastor a small church in a rural farming community in Wisconsin.  It didn’t take long for old patterns to return.  The first Christmas seasons were filled with planning services, choral programs, children programs, the usual Christmas decorations, family shopping and gatherings…busy things that a Pastor of a small church did.  I was repeating, as an adult, the Christmas of my childhood. 

 A few years into this first ministry I braced myself for autumn, because I knew it meant a lot of busy days ahead, and not a lot of personal fruit to enjoy.  With a family to raise and a ministry to preside over, I longed for Christmas to be more than busy days of church pageants and presents to shop for.  After several years I wanted Christmas to be more than what I had allowed it to become.  I knew that I was missing Jesus among all of the good church and family things.

 I returned to Advent. 

 I came to the season of Advent deliberately, intentionally.  I made a decision (now, almost 30 years ago) to take time during the season before Christmas to prepare my heart and soul for the miracle of the Incarnation that leads up to Christmas Day.  I started by including Advent readings and meditations in my quiet times and began a season-long celebration.  I found books, devotional and theological ones to read and ponder.  Over time Advent meant that Christmas became a celebration: more reflective, prayerful, and worshipful! 

At first I did this on my own, but eventually my family joined in, not because I compelled them to, but because of what Advent did for us.  We began to incorporate Advent candles with an Advent wreath on our dinner table.  We lit the Advent candle(s) and read briefly a passage of scripture, giving simple reflections that for our children which they could embrace. 

 As a family we sojourned through Advent, taking our time to savor the season and not just Christmas day.  As a result, Christmas became a culmination of a celebration – much more than the presents at the end. 

 In our Church community I introduced elements of Advent slowly.  Our Church was Evangelical, and Non-Denominational.  I was a Pastor/teacher who loved exposition of Scripture.  Our congregation loved God’s word and hungered for the teaching of the word, and were less than enthusiastic with Advent as a season.  They either did not have a liturgical background, or had left one because “it was dead” (their words) in terms of worship and the word.

 I did not attempt to “force-feed” what I wanted (and needed for myself) upon others.  As we came to Advent each year, I would incorporate into our worship services Advent themes.  I spoke of Advent as something to embrace – a way to break free of the world’s patterns of a “consumer” Christmas, in favor of one that was Christ-focused.  Soon I was being asked “how” to personally do Advent?  Many came along and embraced the season making a part of their own traditions. 

 As time went along children and parents were included during Advent worship times – reading scripture, lighting candles, singing songs of worship that celebrated Christ’s coming for each Sunday of Advent.  I taught messages with Advent themes in our worship services during Advent.  We created a community environment that gave an “invitation without expectations” of conformity.  I’ve witnessed our church - that loves God’s word and loves worshiping God “in Spirit and in truth” - to also love the season of Advent because it brings them closer to the real reason we celebrate Christmas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov