Skip to main content

Choosing to Serve, Running the Race - 1 Corinthians 9

Wednesday, July 15 –

It’s the middle of the workweek and I think you’ll agree reading 1 Corinthians takes perseverance.  The story of what the early church was like is entirely unromanticized as we discover the problems that the Apostle Paul had to deal with.  Today, our reading is in 1 Corinthians 9: 1 – 27.  After you’ve read the Scripture, I’d love to have you come back here so that we can walk through a bit more.

 

Every once in a while, we must return to the issue of context.  As chapter 9 begins, it begs us to remember what Paul had just written – after all. He didn’t put the chapter divisions in, which was added centuries later.  In chapter 8, Paul had been answering their question about whether it was ok to eat the meat sold in the markets if that meat had been knowingly used in pagan worship.  He responded by saying what he had previously mentioned – just because I can do it, doesn’t necessarily mean I should do it.  The chapter ends with an appeal to recognize the higher priority of serving our brothers and sisters in Christ over our personal desires:  Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble” (8:13).

Paul, having made the point begins in chpt. 9 to argue the case for the freedom to restrict freedom:  Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord?” (9:1).  The Corinthian church had been founded as a result of Paul’s Missionary ministry of proclaiming the Gospel.  The Church was a mixture of both Jew and Gentile, and therefore the tensions within the church often related to the Law and the Gospel.  Many loved Paul’s proclamation of the freedom they received in Christ.  Yet, the freedom they had embraced was a false freedom, based more on their individual desires than the building up of the body of Christ for the sake of the Gospel.  Now Paul demonstrates that even He has sacrificed rights, as an Apostle, to make sure the big picture stays in view.

He begins:  “If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord” ( 9:2).  While he has the position of the founding Apostle, some were calling him into question.  This goes back to the beginning of the letter and the divisions that came as cliques formed over Apollos,  Peter, and Paul.  Paul launched a defense of his practices.  He answered those who judged and criticized his methods for doing the work of the Ministry:

“This is my defense to those who would examine me.  Do we not have the right to eat and drink?  Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?  Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living?  Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk? (9:3-7). Paul asked them to what he did in providing for himself with food, drink (vs. 4).  Was Paul married?  No, but he made it clear that some of the Apostles were married, and they traveled as families.  Paul worked in Corinth, alongside Aquila and Priscilla, to provide financial resources for the ministry, but after the church became established, he also received funds from the church.  The precedent for receiving funds from the church doesn’t come from the New Testament writings.  It comes from the Old Testament Law, where the Priests and workers at the Temple and Synagogue received the gifts and offerings of the people to provide for their livelihood. 

“ Do I say these things on human authority? Does not the Law say the same?  For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain.” Is it for oxen that God is concerned?  Does he not certainly speak for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop.  If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?  If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ” (9:8-12).  The Roman world was filled with religious charlatans – much like traveling side-shows – peddling for profit the various claims and charms in the name of a god.  Paul defended his role in “sowing spiritual things,” and as the church began, he received the financial support of those who wanted to see the Gospel advance.  Paul did not take advantage of them, but he did receive support from them...was it too much? 

Paul finalized his argument by appealing to the principle that the Lord Jesus laid down (Matthew 10:8-10) and made a case for support for ministry:  “In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel” (9:14).  The church meets the needs of those doing the work of the Ministry without charging for it.  Accepting gifts and offerings is not the same as charging a ticket to get in.  Yet, in finalizing this defense, Paul turns it on its head and makes a compelling case for giving up his rights for the sake of the furthering of the Gospel.  In a few verses, he explains that he has given up most of the rights that were given to him so that no one could say “he’s just in it for the money.”
“... Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.  Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?  In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.  But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting” (9:12-15).  While Paul had the right to get their support, he did not want it.  Paul is free from their financial provisions because he does not want to “put an obstacle in the way of the Gospel of Christ” (9:12).  The Gospel was free, and by ignoring his rights, he was celebrating His freedom in Christ.   

When I felt called by God to enter into the ministry, I had a few people who pointed out – “there’s no money in being a pastor.”  Obviously, they knew what they paid their Pastors.  I remember saying, “I’m not doing it for the money,” – which was a bit naïve since I didn’t know what to expect.  When younger students have asked me about going into ministry, I usually ask them lots of questions about motive, expectations, and included in those expectations their own material needs.  I then point out – “Is it such a desire that you cannot imagine doing anything else?  Would you have something else you also would like to do?”  If the answer is “No, I don’t want to do anything else – it’s what I think God is calling me to do,” then I think they have a chance at succeeding.  Paul’s words are crucial here:  “For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!  For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship.  What then is my reward? That in my preaching, I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel”  (9:16-18).  The difference could not be more stark.  The purpose of Paul’s ministry and ministry, in general, can not be self-promotion.  Those who do ministry need to guard against being self-centered and ego-filled so that the proclamation of the Gospel alone becomes the central message.

No one should ever engage in ministry who has not digested the end of chapter 9.  Here Paul lays out the charge to do the things that lead to the Gospel at the center and the person proclaiming it on the side:  “For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.  To the Jews, I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law, I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.  To those outside the law, I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.  To the weak, I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means, I might save some.  I do it all for the sake of the gospel that I may share with them in its blessings” (9:19-27).  He gave up his identity, preferences, and even practices, preferring humility and sacrifice over rights so that he might reach any and all he encountered.
The purpose of leading, pastoring, teaching, proclaiming can never be the selfishness of personal desires.  It must always be to do what is necessary to not get in the way of the message of God’s grace and Christ’s redemption because of that Grace.  Here the contrast is clear.  Paul did not hang on to his rights – even though he could have.  Instead, he gave up his rights for the sake of the Gospel, for the sake of the Church, for the sake of the believers in Corinth. 

Was it easy?  No.  It never is.  I’m now at the tail end of almost five decades of ministry.  I have thought about what it means to retire, but I don’t have any intention of stopping the ministry and the proclamation of the Gospel God called me to, 50 years ago.  There is one goal – to finish the race:  “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified” (9:24-27).  Paul was challenged by the fear of God and motivated to do things to be above reproach.  He did not do his work to get the applause of people, but to “run the race” and finish it well.  Did you notice, Paul stopped saying “we” and ended his defense with an “I.”  “I discipline my body and keep it under control...lest I should be disqualified.”  Is he talking about losing his salvation?  No.  He is referring back to 1 Corinthians 3:10-15, and the rewards for finishing well.  He did not want to find out all he had done was wood, hay, straw.  The temptations of the world are as real to those who do the work of the ministry as it is for everyone.  I know this, without God’s faithfulness, his grace, and mercy, no one can do this job.  As the great secular prophet, Yogi Berra was fond of saying – “it ain’t over til its over.”

Peace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov