Skip to main content

Day 21 - Let Us Go To the House of the Lord

I confess, I don’t like the phrase, “go to church”.  There are reasons, and in short they are biblical and theological.  “Church” is not a place, but a people.  We don’t go to people, we come together to be with people.  

OK, I know, I won’t get many who say “Amen, brother”, but it’s an important distinction.  We are called to relationships – with God and with His people – and that can happen in many different “places”.

Now that I’ve shown my preferences, let me add that I’m a believer in “place”.  I love meeting together with other believers for worship, instruction, fellowship.  Place has it’s purpose and on Sunday I gather with a group of faithful believers in Church.  I love that people want to gather and don’t feel they are compelled by guilt or duty to “have to go to church”.

Psalm 122 is the journey of the believer up to Jerusalem to meet with other believers to worship, and it’s obvious that he wants to go.

Psalm 122:1-9
1  I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the LORD!”
2  Our feet have been standing within your gates, O Jerusalem!
3  Jerusalem—built as a city that is bound firmly together,
4  to which the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, as was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
5  There thrones for judgment were set, the thrones of the house of David.
6  Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! “May they be secure who love you!
7  Peace be within your walls and security within your towers!”
8  For my brothers and companions’ sake I will say, “Peace be within you!”
9  For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your good.

Did you notice how he begins:  “I was glad”.  Worship is exciting and never boring.  If it becomes boring it is not worship.  Worship is never forced, it’s something we want to do, not have to do.

If you think about it, all we have to do is open our check books, our calendars (remember Daytimers?), our schedules and look at what we do.  It is here that we discover what we desire and want to do when no one is looking and were free to make our own choices.

“I was glad”…  Why?

Because all of us need to go to the Lord…all of us need grace, mercy, forgiveness, help.

Jerusalem with all of its beauty and grandeur represented the place of God’s meeting with his people under the Old Covenant.  But under the New Covenant all of that has changed.

Hebrews 8:1-2 1  Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 
2  a minister in the holy places, in the true tent that the Lord set up, not man.

Hebrews 9:15  Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance...

Hebrews 9:28  so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

We journey through Lent with this confidence….it’s not a place, it’s a person we come to.


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Well

As Jesus came to  his last hours on the earth, he spent them with his disciples - a show of his dedication to their special relationship with him.  If it were me and I knew this was my last night, I might want to take time to talk about what's important, and what they must remember....and perhaps it would be about doctrine, or beliefs, faith, etc.  Jesus goes a different direction: John 13:1-17 (NIV) 1 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. 2 The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured w...

Betrayed by Failed Expectations

No one names their children Judas.  No other name is more recognized as anathema than his name.    It's hard to sort out what to do with Judas.  He walked with Jesus, learned from him, saw the miracles, knew what Jesus was up to early on.  Yet when it came down to it he betrayed Jesus. What's perhaps more amazing is that it doesn't surprise Jesus at all. John 13:18-32 (NIV) 18 "I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.' 19 "I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. 20 I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me." 21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." 22 His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know ...

Joy to the World - Help is On the Way

It’s the first day of Advent– while you prepare for Worship this morning at church take a minute to ask God to direct you through this season that you might be prepared to “receive your King”. In the first week of Advent we celebrate the PROMISE of His Coming. His promise is based on our need. We were made in his image, but there is emptiness in our soul that is the result of the Fallen nature of sin. But why did Jesus come? What in his coming announces God's heart? His desire for us to know and experience? 10 BUT THE ANGEL SAID TO THEM, "DO NOT BE AFRAID; FOR BEHOLD, I BRING YOU GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY WHICH WILL BE FOR ALL THE PEOPLE; 11 FOR TODAY IN THE CITY OF DAVID THERE HAS BEEN BORN FOR YOU A SAVIOR, WHO IS CHRIST THE LORD. GREAT JOY! Did you know that God is Joyful? 1 CHRONICLES 16:23-27 (NASB) 23 SING TO THE LORD, ALL THE EARTH; PROCLAIM GOOD TIDINGS OF HIS SALVATION FROM DAY TO DAY. 24 TELL OF HIS GLORY AMONG THE NATIONS, HIS WONDERFUL DEEDS AMONG ALL THE PEOPLES....