Skip to main content

Lent - Day 21, March 17


Today's readings come from: Psalm 78:1-72; Jere 7:21-34; Rom 4:13-25; & John 7:37-52

Today is St. Patrick's day in much of the western world. It's a sad day for me in that much of what marks the day is secular and even worse debased. It's not about "green beer" and celebration...that's the least. It's that a true man of God, and that is who St. Patrick was, is not remembered for his virtue, godliness, and vision; but instead becomes the occasion of drunkenness and revelry.

We, Protestants, don't use the language of "Saint" to refer to any one person. Perhaps we should. I know the argument biblically, even theologically, that saints are all christians, and I can't say that we should abandon that; but perhaps we need those who are exemplary in being role models for what it means to follow Christ.

Patrick grew up in modern Wales (western part of the island we call England for those who are geographically challenged :) in the latter part of the 4th century. He grew up in a rather lukeward religious environment, supposedly in a family of means. Sometime around the age of 16 he was captured by Irish marauders seeking slaves and he was a shepherd in forced work until he escaped (a vision and voice guided him over 200 miles to the coast and a ship to get away) at age 22. He ended up in France studying to become a priest and there changed his name to Patrick (was Maewyn). After a number of years in training, and what perhaps is the most unreal thing of all, he felt God's call and went back to Ireland to proclaim the gospel.

Over the course of 30 years Patrick crossed Ireland and proclaimed the Gospel, organized believers into monastic orders and built churches, hospitals, and established educational means. His legend is renowned and I'm sure it's augmented by myth and lore. He died on March 17, 460 - hence this day of celebration.

One of the most well known aspects of Patrick's life is in his prayers and breastplate. Here is a prose entitled:
The Prayer of St. Patrick, the 5th Century Monk.


“I came in God’s Strength, with nothing to Fear.”
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through the belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness
Of the Creator of Creation.
I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth with his baptism,
Through the strength of his crucifixion with his burial,
Through the strength of his resurrection with his ascension,
Through the strength of his descent for the judgment of Doom.
I arise today
Through the strength of the love of Cherubim,
In obedience of angels, In the service of archangels,
In hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In prayers of patriarchs, In predictions of prophets,
In preaching of apostles, In faith of confessors,
In innocence of holy virgins, In deeds of righteous men.
I arise today
Through the strength of heaven:
Light of sun, Radiance of moon,
Splendor of fire, Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of wind, Depth of sea,
Stability of earth, Firmness of rock.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptations of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone and in multitude.
I summon today all these powers between me and those evils,
Against every cruel merciless power that may oppose my body and soul,
Against false prophets, pagandom, Heretics, & idolatry,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.
Christ to shield me today
So that there may come to me abundance of reward.
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness,
Of the Creator of Creation.


A Prayer:

"Father, we are in desperate need of "heroes" today. We need those people whose life will speak of courage, integrity, and the godly character of Christ Jesus, our Lord. Would you please raise up today many modern day Patrick's. Holy Father, we, I, need those who will remind me of the sacrifice of a life well spent for the gospel of your Son. Grant that I today may walk in the power and strength of the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad