Skip to main content

Lent,, Day 13 - March 9

Our Daily Readings are: Psalms 56, 57, 58, 64, 65; Jere 1:11-19; Rom 1:1-15; and John 4:27-42

I had a difficult time concentrating through those Psalms this morning. I eventually found Psalm 65 to beautifully describe the wonder of God in his creation, and from there everything opened up. Jeremiah and Paul both recount "mission" and "calling" from God -- and it's clear that what they were called to do was not easy.

This word "weakness" continues to dominate my Lenten meditations. Paul's statement to the Corinthians is translated in the NASB (my favorite version): 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NASB)
9 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

In the NIV it's translated: 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)
9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

In the NewKJV it's translated: 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NKJV)
9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

In several other translations the pronoun "my" is inserted in the translation -- but that is an interpretive notion since there is no personal pronoun in front of strength (the greek word for "strength", or "power" is dunamis, from which we get dynamic and dynamite).

A literal reading is awkward, but goes something like this: "He said to me, grace (my) is sufficient, for the power comes to an end in weakness."
You'll notice that the word usually translated "perfect", or "perfected" is in this literal translating, "end". Its root is from the greek word "teleos", which is translated usually "to complete, to finish, to bring to an end, to fulfill." So for example, Matthew 7:28 says, "Now when Jesus had finished saying these things...", and the word "teleo" signifies completion. There's another word that is often translated "perfected", but it's not the one Paul uses here in 2 Cor. 12:9

Among many translators the interpretive sense has been that God's power would come in when there is weakness, and to a certain extent that is true. But, I think there's more to this in this passage. I want to explore that further, but for now, let me share at the end another way of looking at what Paul's saying.
So, the question becomes "who's power" comes to an end in weakness?
Perhaps the translation of 2 Cor. 12:7-10 would be better understood like this:

"...to keep me from being too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to knock me about...Three times I appealed to the Lord concerning this, that it might depart from me, but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for your power is brought to an end in weakness.' All the more gladly, then, I will boast in my weaknesses that the power of Christ (not mine) may tabernacle upon me. Therefore, I take delight in weaknesses, in insults, in necessities, in persecutions and calamities for the sake of Christ, for when I am weak, then I am strong."

Let's come back to this, but for now, let me leave us pondering a quote from Kierkegaard:
"Just try to imagine that the pattern is called a 'Lamb'. That alone is a scandal to the natural mind. Who has any desire to be a lamb?"

A Prayer:

"Oh God, because without you we cannot worship you and we cannot see you, and we cannot hear you; please come in your mercy and allow us to enter into your grace. Most of all, help me to see the end of my power and the magnificence of your grace as it comes into my life at that time. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov