Skip to main content

In Case You Want to know More - My Journey to become a Catholic

 My Journey to become a Catholic

In the summer of 2023, I came into the communion of the Catholic church.  After 73 years of Protestantism, almost 50 of which was as a Pastor or Professor, one might be asking “Why did you decide to enter into the Catholic church?  The answer to that is not simple and it involves a lifetime of experiences, questions, and thinking – oh yes, and the work of the Holy Spirit in my journey of faith.

In one sense, nothing except my church involvement is changed.  I’m a Christian first and foremost of all. I’ve been a Christian all of my life.  I began my journey in the home of my parents who were Lutheran.  I was baptized and later confirmed in the church. In my teen years, I fell away, as a Prodigal, I distanced myself from all things concerning faith.  Eventually, it all began to change after I met my future wife, Linda.  The Spirit of God used her to lead me back to God’s love and I gave my life to Christ all over again – a born-again experience.  Within two years, I surrendered my life to serve Christ to enter into ministry.  I went to a Seminary where I majored in early Theology, Church History, and Education.  In many ways, the studies in Church History planted the seeds to question how the church I knew had become what it was today.   

After graduating from Seminary, I took a call to pastor a church in rural Wisconsin. As a new Pastor, and young, I did the work of ministry, with everything I could give it.  Yet, within a few years, I began to question what I was doing.   I began to feel “thin” – by which I mean, I was doing the job of pastoring, but lacked the heart and soul to enjoy it.  I was “burning out”.  A friend invited me to a conference, in part hoping I’d get perspective, and the speaker (a Protestant leader) introduced me to two Catholic authors who had helped him in dealing with the stress of ministry.  One of two I had never known - Henry Nouwen.  The other one was well-known, St. Augustine, the great 5th century Bishop I had studied in Seminary.

I discovered a depth of writing in Henri Nouwen that touched me in my heart and soul. I read Henri Nouwen because his writing challenged me to examine my soul, step out of fear, humiliation, and depression, and find at the end of my rope a waiting, loving God.  I had a much better foundation under me and the weight of ministry changed as I learned to be a Protestant Monastic – contemplative, prayerful, and quiet.

 I read St. Augustine because he was a man who once did not believe, lived a rather pagan licentious life, and then later on, was converted to Christianity.  When he turned by faith to Jesus Christ, God turned his world upside down. Soon he answered God’s call to return to his home in North Africa, and there he was made a Bishop of the Church.  I related well to his pagan lifestyle as a teen, and coming to faith in Christ which then led to a call to Ministry.  Augustine wrote two monumental works that I loved:  Confessions, where his autobiography details the life of choices and the struggle for a God-shaped Identity.  City of God made me realize the difference between God’s Kingdom on earth and Human Kingdoms such as Rome in Augustine’s days.  Rome was “falling” as it was overrun by various warring tribes from the East.  The wealthy Romans fled Italy to North Africa.  There, they blamed the collapse of the Empire on the “Christian new God” which angered the Roman gods.  Augustine made the argument that Human governments come and go, collapsing under their sinful corruption; while the Kingdom of God lives on eternally – “…the earthly city glorifies itself, the Heavenly city glories in the Lord…the earthly city has made for herself, according to her heart’s desire, false gods…the heavenly one, on the other hand, living like a wayfarer in this world, makes no false gods for herself. On the contrary, she herself is made by the true God that she may be herself a true sacrifice to Him.”  Augustine saw the Church as the heirs and stewards of the Kingdom of God upon the earth.

After several years in my first church pastoral position, I took a call to pastor another church – a university church in Madison, Wisconsin.  The challenge of ministry in a university setting was both exhilarating and difficult. I had come from a rural ministry and gone to a much larger city, where there weren’t just four Protestant churches, but a few dozen Protestant churches.  I soon realized that pastoring in a Protestant church in the city was rather lonely.  Most churches were territorial – working for more members.  It seemed that transferring members from one church to the other was an acceptable practice.  It also seemed that leaders and churches didn’t have much in common with other Protestant churches – especially those outside of the specific denomination a church might belong to.  While Jesus prayed “that they might be one as we are one”, there wasn’t any oneness among Protestant churches.  Each Protestant church had different government, theology, teaching, and practices.  There were many widely varying Protestant churches:  Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Congregational, UCC churches, Four-square, Mennonite, Pentecostal, and Charismatic.  Yet the largest and fastest growing churches were non-Denominational churches, i.e., Churches that decided their own doctrinal positions.   In fact, among the many types of Protestant churches, the oneness of the Church didn’t develop, even among churches in the same denominational system.

Many of the mainline Protestant churches had a Creedal theology, yet there was a wide diversity in practices such as Communion (the Lord’s Supper), baptism, church government, pastoral leadership, and theology.  As a student of Church History, I became a witness to the inherent church separations that came from five centuries of divisions within Protestantism.  A group chooses a pathway because “we believe this is the truth of God in terms of the church”, The pattern is repeated over and over again and we soon understand why there are over 30,000 Protestant “ways” of being church.

Even in the church I Pastored division occurred over some practices that some embraced from the area of charismatic gifts.  I did not feel comfortable in that setting, and as the strain of differences kept growing, I was eventually asked to resign.  The pattern of division within Protestantism, as I saw it in my 47 years of ministry, happened often. 

I left pastoral ministry to go into education – a Discipleship Training community for young Adults.  Those years of teaching, training, and discipling young adults were some of the best years of ministry.  Discipling young adults led me to become a Dean of a newly created Christian college.

Also, it was during these years, that I (my wife and I) began to work with the Catholic church in a marriage ministry called Retrouvaille (Ret-tro-Vie).  My wife and I discovered Retrouvaille and their weekend marriage retreats when our marriage was struggling and we were urged to attend.  Retrouvaille gave us tools for rebuilding our marriage and after our time of healing, we realized we wanted to join Retrouvaille and serve other couples.  We met many Catholic friends and worked alongside them in loving service to other hurting couples whose marriages were being threatened.  I saw the Catholic church in a way I had never seen before.  During those weekends, we celebrated the Mass and I participated in the Mass, a worshipful, and Christ-centered liturgy.  For those eight years working with Retrouvaille, I entered into the worship of the Mass several times and loved the liturgical confession and the liturgy of the Eucharist celebration of Christ’s sacrifice.

 In 2010, I returned to where I began pastoral ministry thirty-three years before to once again lead a church.  I felt God’s call to return to my past rural setting to lead a new church, because of many old friends that I felt compassion for and wanted to help lead in a healing process caused by division. For a few years, I remained the Dean of the college, teaching Biblical studies in a college setting, while also doing pastoral duties, while once again becoming dissatisfied by various things I observed.

Once again, I began to think seriously about where the faith of the church was going.  There were friends in the fellowship of this church that I loved dearly, but there was also a constant flow of “coming and going” – people who came to our church for one reason or another, and then left to attend another Church fellowship when circumstances changed. I began to discern a Protestant ethos, which looked a lot like a consumer-oriented “spiritual shopping experience”.  I entitled it “Mall Christianity” because it didn’t look like the unity of Christ’s community, but a consumer-driven spiritual shopping around for the bigger and better. Pastoring people for the sake of Christ Jesus, fellowship in Christ and with each other, and serving Christ’s Kingdom felt tenuous.  Evangelicalism – especially the non-Denominational strain of the “Mega-Church” seemed to be a consumer entertainment show.  While the decade of 2010 drew to a close, something was happening in my soul and I began to feel both restless.

When Covid hit in 2020, I tried to discern why God would allow this pandemic upon the world.  As I prayerfully contemplated, I came across the words of the book of Hebrews which speak of God proclaiming, “Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens…the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain.  Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”

I understood those words as if they were describing the condition of the church at present in our own culture and realized God was shaking.  I had no idea just how much things would change.  I felt that deep desire for worship that was as the Hebrews writer proclaimed, “acceptable, with reverence and awe”.  I saw the church in a way that made me aware of how much as a Protestant, it had drifted from Christ’s design. I longed for the church Jesus prayed for in John 17:20, 21 - “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”

I thought, “Where is the church Jesus spoke about in Matthew 16, “I will build my church, and the gates of hell would not come against it?”  Where is the church Jesus prayed to the Father in John 17, “I pray that they may be one even as we are one”.  I could not help but wonder how, as a Protestant, I could say the confessional creed, “I believe in one holy catholic church?” 

As the Covid crisis continued, I had more time to re-read the early Church Fathers. In these great Fathers of the church, I recognized that they were committed to “one church”.  They didn’t just “mouth” it, but fought for that oneness in their preaching, writing, and in church councils.  The great gatherings of the Church in councils came about to correct and clarify Christian theology.  The Councils were spread over the first 600 years of the church’s history – Jerusalem, Nicaea, Constantinople, Ephesus, and Chalcedon created “Orthodox Christian Theology”, one that most mainline Protestant churches also confess today.  They were unified in fighting off heresies that tried to change the divinity or nature of Christ Jesus.   The various heresies:  Docetism, Gnosticism, Arianism, Eutychianism, Nestorianism, and Monothelitism[1] are all names most people today would not recognize, but they still live on as heresies today in our modern period in groups like Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, and various forms of New Age religions.  They all borrow from Christianity but ALL deviate from the true Orthodox Christian theology of the Early Church’s Creeds – especially concerning the person and nature of Jesus Christ and the Trinity.

As I reflected on these writers of the early church Fathers and subsequent great doctors of the Middle Ages, I began to rethink what I had learned about the Catholic Church.  Yet I was not ready to make that leap of faith.

I looked at the experiences of worship that I had been in and realized I longed for a sacred liturgy of worship that I had experienced in the Catholic Mass.  My wife and I had decided to spend some time each winter in Florida, and so I began to explore churches that would have a more liturgical structure.  I went to several Protestant churches over two months of Sunday services, I found it a less than satisfying experience.  I had a conversation with a Catholic friend, and I mentioned my searching experiences.  I asked him questions about the structure of the Mass.  He explained how the Mass has two main elements: the liturgy of the word of God and the liturgy of the Eucharist.  He described the Mass in ways that I remembered from my days serving in Retrouvaille, and as I left to return home, a seed was planted within my heart.  Yet months went passed, and I wasn’t sure what to do. 

Then in December 2022, we returned to Florida, and I knew I wanted to go to a Catholic Mass.  The decision to attend that Mass was life-changing.  We went to our first Mass on Christmas Eve.   I experienced something heavenly – a divine encounter in worship.  We celebrated the Incarnation – it was Christmas Eve – but the worship had a depth of meaning I had not expected.  I was caught up in a worship service that was completely centered on Jesus.  In the liturgy of the Word, the readings from the Old Testament, the Prophets, the Psalms, and the Gospel readings reminded me of God’s promised fulfillment of the Messiah’s coming.  In the liturgy of the Eucharist, the reason why Christ came was celebrated.  During the Eucharist something began to happen to me - I wept.  I wept because I knew that Christ Jesus, who we were celebrating, was present.  There was a real sense of Christ's presence, and it seemed as if the worship of heaven was joining our worship on earth, right then and there.  There was an incredible beauty and joy in worship that I had longed for.  I honestly didn’t want it to end, and I as I walked out, all I could say to my wife was “Wow”. 

I knew I needed to explore more.  Little did I know it was going to be “suffering” that made that possible.  Three days after the Christmas Eve Mass, I fell and broke a vertebra in my back.  I couldn’t do anything because of unrelenting back pain.  I soon realized – from the Doctors - the healing process was going to take months – thus, my plans for a winter getaway seemed dashed.  As I prayed, a thought came to me:  “Go to daily Mass, worship, and pray”.  I began to attend daily Mass and once again, I felt the presence of Jesus.  My wife joined me, and each day my focus became worship, not pain.  Each time I went I felt the joy of God’s Spirit in the liturgy of the word of God, and the Eucharist where Christ Jesus was present.  It was common that I would walk away with a sense of peace and joy that I could not explain.  It was one of the many mysteries of the next few months.

In January, I bought a Catechism of the Catholic Church because I wanted to understand what Catholicism teaches. Over the years I had read other Catechisms, but as I began to read and study the Catholic Catechism, I was amazed by the depth of the church’s beliefs, dogmas, and doctrines.  They were “layered” in a way in which everything cohesively fit together.  I had gone in thinking “This is where I’ll find out whether or not I can agree with Catholicism”, but as I studied the Catechism, I was struck by how familiar the language was.  I was reading doctrines and dogmas of the early church father’s “Orthodoxy”.  While there are differences between Protestant beliefs and Catholic beliefs, they are almost all in areas that do not define major theological issues:  God, Jesus Christ, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, and Salvation by grace, are the cornerstone dogmas of Orthodoxy.  They were all very similar and eventually, It made sense because Protestants (think Luther, Calvin) didn’t reject the Orthodoxy of the church.  Even when I hit differences, I had to pause, think and try to discover how the Church had gotten to this position.  For example,

Having studied Church History for 50 years, I wondered about the Catholic church’s stance on Scripture behind it.  As a Protestant, the Reformers had rejected the traditions of the Church as legitimate for interpreting the Scriptures.  As I thought about the Catholic Church’s position, it became much clearer.  Would I trust the accumulated wisdom of 2000 years of Church teachings that had to grapple with issues, or the teachings of Protestantism that came in the last five hundred years?  My struggles came more and more to the light.  For example, in my lifetime as a Protestant pastor and teacher, the Protestant church has continued to change, often bending itself to culture, to the point that orthodoxy is not a word that would describe most Protestant churches today.[2]

The Catholic Church has retained the integrity of the two-millennial Church teachings.  I had known there was much wisdom in the early church fathers.  I had often thought that the problem was in the addition of the church’s “traditions” to the word of God as the authority of the Church.  To be fair, the word “tradition” is a trigger word that creates a knee-jerk reaction of negativity among Protestants.  Yet, the Scripture speaks of tradition and it doesn’t deny it as a source of authoritative teaching, but defends its place in the Church.  The Apostle Paul appealed to the church in Corinth: “Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you” (1 Cor. 11:2). Then later to the Thessalonian church, he adds, “So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter” (2 Th. 2:15).  Oral Tradition was handed down from the Apostles to their disciples (i.e., Bishops).  The traditions were either by “spoken word or by letter”.   They preserved the oral traditions to understand God’s revelation to the church from generation to generation – a continuous line of truth that Jesus promised the disciples.   Sacred scripture and sacred tradition are thus complementary as each one completes the other.  Thus the Orthodoxy of which I spoke of in the early church fathers was not accidental, nor political, but a faithful transmission of truth from the Apostles.

I discovered many misunderstandings about what I had believed about Catholicism.  Among them, are the Pope, Mary, Prayer, and the Eucharist of the Mass to name a few.  As I read, I often found myself saying “I didn’t realize that”.  I also began to read other literature.  Scott and Kimberly Hahn’s book, “Rome Sweet Home” was a confirming, authentic, sometimes gut-wrenching book as they bared their souls sharing about leaving their Protestant roots and coming into the Catholic church.  Edward Sri’s series “A Biblical Walk through the Mass” helped me to see the Mass in its Biblical framework, and how the Mass mirrors the worship that is occurring in Heaven.  Scott Hahn struck again.

Scott Hahn’s book, “The Lamb’s Supper” was heart-changing.  I confess as a Protestant pastor I stayed away from teaching the book of Revelation. I tried as a young pastor, but then again young pastors often venture into unknown territory just to see what they can learn.  The Book of Revelation remained a mystery to me and the various attempts among the many “Millennialists” did nothing to give me understanding. I didn’t understand what the Apostle John was witnessing.  When Dr. Hahn began to show how John was witnessing the Worship of Heaven and how our worship on earth in the Mass mirrors what is occurring in Heaven. The book of Revelation finally “clicked” – a spiritual “Ah hah” moment.  It made sense, as I realized the Apostle John was being encouraged as persecution broke out on the early church by knowing all of Heaven was in worship as warfare in Heaven and on Earth took place.  This was the church of Jesus Christ – “I will build…though the gates of hell fight, they will not prevail”.   

Two months later, (March 2023) I decided to start taking classes to explore coming into the Catholic church. I took a series on Catholicism by Bishop Barron – which, by the way, had once appeared on PBS.  Beautifully done, that series made the big picture of the Catholic Church come alive for me.  One of the words that I just used has become a byword for much of what I’m learning about the Catholic church – Beauty.  The Mass is beautiful.  Not just the Mass on weekends, but also the daily Mass. Saying the Rosary is beautiful and my mind and heart are captured by the images of prayers to heaven.  Confession to the Priest is beautiful.  My sin is not hidden, but exposed and I am cleansed – my Spiritual bath of forgiveness. 

The Easter season – specifically the Holy Week of Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday stirred my soul.  I had stopped celebrating all of those except for Easter Sunday years before as a Pastor. Once again, I found myself caught up in the beauty of the Easter season.  Christ Jesus met with his disciples in the Upper Room on that Maundy Thursday and gave to them the command to “love one another” and they saw him express that in the celebration of the Eucharist – the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus.  His death on the Cross fulfills all of the Old Testament pictures of the Sacrifice – the Passover.  The silence of Saturday is met with the entrance of New Believers entering into the Church…just in time to celebrate Easter morning – “He is risen”.  Jesus has conquered death, and his forgiveness is communicated through his Church, as the Apostles and those that have descended from them through the laying on of hands keep ministering the Mass for the last 2100 years.

I made a decision after Easter – I would “come home” to the Catholic Church.  I would become a part of the “One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church” that we confess in the Nicene Creed of 325 a.d.

  I asked to be confirmed into the Church and it was granted.  On the Corpus Christi weekend of June 10/11, 2023, my sponsor and his wife, along with some friends, came to join me in this celebration.  As my Priest laid his hands on my shoulder and then on my forehead, my sponsor laid his hand on my other shoulder, and in response of affirmations to his questions, and with his prayerful blessings, I was confirmed.  That day I received communion, the body of Christ in the Eucharist for the first time.  I experienced a joy and peace that was indicative of my favorite word for my Catholic faith – beautiful, divinely so.

My journey of faith in Catholicism is just begun. When I began this journey in Dec. 2022, I stumbled across (a God stumbling) the words of St. Anselm – “Faith Seeking Understanding”.  I had read them many times before and believed they were true.  We do not, must not, seek understanding to have faith. Instead, we are people of faith who are always trying to understand God’s mysteries and revelation.  I remind myself every day that it’s a new day to exercise the faith of seeking understanding.

One more thing – I am praying for the Church of Jesus Christ to fulfill the prayer of “Father, may they be one even as we are one”.  May it be!

 

Elliott, June 2023

 

 



[1] This is not and exhaustive list of the Heresies of the early centuries of the Church.  There were many, many more.  Some were localized, but these were more Empire-wide in scope and effect. 

[2] I know that this evaluation is a broad-stroke one. I will admit that there are churches within Protestantism that have not compromised their faith with the prevailing cultural winds.  Yet, any reasonable look at the Protestant churches in the culture today would see a constant trend towards culturalization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov