Skip to main content

The Journey of This Pilgrim, Part 4

I am a Christian and have been a committed one since the Fall of 1970.  Growing up in my small town, everyone seemed to be connected to one church or another.  My best friend, Larry, was a Catholic altar boy.  The girl I had an early crush on was Presbyterian.  The Catholic church was "kitty-corner" from the Lutheran church my family belonged to.  The Congregational church was nearby on the same street, and the Presbyterian church was just a block to the west. Being a Christian was to be identified with a church. There was no such thing as "I'm a Christian, but I don't belong to any church." - at least none that I ever knew.
I have little memory of any one growing up whose faith was an influence to me.  I'm not saying there were no faithful people, because I'm sure there were.  I remember delivering papers to one household - the Ipsens.  Lloyd was a guy who told jokes, smiled and laughed, and did the unexpected things...but was really nice guy.  Jean, his wife, was a person who exuded kindness...a really wonderful person who always made me feel good being around. 

It was G.K Chesterton who once said, "The Christian Ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." 
Of course that's the issue about faith isn't it.  Is it real in your life?  Is it a Sunday thing, or does it govern life as a whole? 
James in his epistle writes:  James 2:14-18 
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15  Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  

It seems reasonable and understandable, doesn't it?  Faith has an outward manifestation where it is demonstrated and visible, and although God alone is able to read the heart and see what is real, we should be able to see what kind of faith a person has.  "Can Such faith..." means "that kind of faith".  So there's different kinds of responses to God and his word, and it's clear that faith without the accompany works or deeds of a right relationship with God will yield no benefit.

I say all of that to say that my childhood had very few good examples - at least that I could see.  I was largely unimpressed by the church.  I had that experience when I was 8 years old when I felt God spoke to me; but we didn't talk about faith, and the only conversations about the church that I remember were negative.

I balance the need for an active faith, one that is alive at all times, from a legalistic kind of religion that is ordered by rules and regulations.  Legalism is an easy trap to fall into if one is "trying" as Chesterton mused about.  But trying is necessary...and realizing that sometimes we fail, we fall, and we need to get back up by confessing our sin, receiving forgiveness, and learning from the failure - whatever its cause.  It was John who so concisely makes that clear.

1 John 1:9 - 2:2 
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. 
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

I wished I had had someone reinforce this to me at an early age.  I'm not going to blame anyone else other than myself.  I lived my teen years - regretfully - as a self focused narcissist.  I failed to see God as the reason for life, and it was only at the end of my teen years that I discovered the truth of what John wrote.  Of course John's words came from the Holy Spirit, and they followed his own reminder of what Jesus said to Nicodemus that one evening when he told him,  in John 3:3-8 
Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."  "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.'  The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

I was 20 years old when the Spirit came to me and I was born of the Spirit...it all began to change at that point in life... I was no longer the old man I had become, I was now as Paul said to the Corinthians, changed to new life - 2 Corinthians 5:17 
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Indeed, the "New" began to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov