Skip to main content

New Life

The name of the church that I fellowship with, and serve as it's Pastor, is called New Life Fellowship.  I like our name.  I'm sure that most, if not all, of the people who read this are Christians.  But humor me for a moment about what it means to become one.

I was born into a German Lutheran family.  Our family of 7 kids were all baptised as infants.  We were taken to church almost every Sunday, and I attended catechism and was confirmed into the Church around age 12.  I walked away from my faith, and the church, for most of my teen years.  I was bored, and frankly didn't see any connection between my life and the faith I was being told about for most of those years.

The only time I was interested in the church during those years was Lent.  I remember during one Lenten season our Lutheran church had a Wednesday evening service in which the Pastor taught the last 7 words of Jesus on the cross.  I didn't need to be forced to go to church during those weeks.  Still I strayed far away from the Christian faith.  I entered college without a foundation of faith under my feet at all.  Those few years were filled with fleshly sin-filled actions that I'm frankly ashamed to say I did them.  I was floundering in a wilderness of self gratification and instead of feeling joy, I felt emptiness.

It all turned around on a date.  I met Linda, my wife, in 1969.  We didn't start dating until the Fall of 1970.  I knew something was different about her, and discovered it during one of our early dates.  We got into a discussion about faith...I didn't have one.  I had a collection of random beliefs gathered from all over the place and even I knew it was no faith at all.  Linda was not judgmental, but was clear - her faith rested in the person and work of Jesus, who loved her, forgave her, and in whom her relationship was the most important thing in her life.  I went home that night, and instead of falling to sleep, I laid in my bed, staring into the blackness of the night and internally reliving the conversation over and over again.
This is what I knew - I didn't have that relationship with Christ that she talked of.  I prayed a simple, and not very profound prayer asking Jesus to come into my life, asking him to save me and to forgive me of my sins.  I asked him to be my  savior and my Lord - I wanted to live my life for Him...a New Life.

THIS is what it means to become a Christian.  A Christian is a person who has accepted Jesus' person and work for themselves.  A Christian is a person who accepts that God has come into the world through His Son, Jesus Christ, and through Christ's death on the cross has taken our place and redeemed us from our sins.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 (ESV)
17  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
18  All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;
19  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
20  Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
21  For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.


I want to be careful here.   Let's not make this new life into a business transaction.  This is not a "I agree to grant you that I am a sinner and you agree to grant me salvation in return."  That would take the mercy, grace and love of God and make them trivial at best.  Christians have a profound sense of their own moral bankruptcy and God's incredible grace in reaching out to bring us to himself.  This is a grace that isn't cheap, as Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German-Lutheran pastor who was martyred by the Nazis near the end of WWII.  This grace compels us to make a commitment because it came to us in our emptiness, and filled up everything that was necessary.  That is why Paul says, "in Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself..."

Many years ago there was a conference in Great Britain on comparative religions.  Experts from all over the world came to debate what was unique about the Christian faith in relation to other religions.
Was it that God came to us as a human?  No, other religions had that.
Was it the resurrection?  No, other religions believed in that.
Was it heaven, life after death, or the eternal soul?
Was it love for your neighbor, good works, or sin, hell, or judgement???  NO, NO, NO.  These were all parts of other religions.
The dialog went on for some time when C. S. Lewis walked into the room.  They asked him, "what is so unique about Christianity from other religious faiths?"
He answered, "That's easy, It's Grace!"

The sense of being lost, wandering aimlessly, striving for reality without realizing that we're in a fog of our own SELF is what causes us to come to God and need His grace.
To Love God with all of our hearts, all of our soul, all of our mind, or strength - and our neighbor too - is impossible to do without that Grace.
I'll talk about those tomorrow..For now,

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov