Skip to main content

11th Station of the Cross

Today's readings are: Psalms 51, 69:1-23; Jer 12:1-16, Phil 3:1-14, & John 12:9-19

This is Monday of Holy Week. Today we arrive at the 11th Station of the Cross where Jesus promises His Kingdom to one of the thieves next to him while hanging on the cross.

Scripture Reading: "Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us." The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
Luke 23: 39-43

The thief who selfishly sought his physical salvation stands in contrast to the thief who both understood his sin and guilt, as well as understood Jesus' ultimate end - not in death, but in paradise.

Two things stand out to me in at this station, as well as in the reading. First, I read Psalm 51, but then chose to read it again, slowly, personally, in a first person voice. It's an exercise in confession, in not denying sin, and in realizing the weight of my sin before my Holy God..."against you and alone alone God have I sinned, and done evil in your sight."
It's an exercise I need to conscientiously enter into - intentionally I might add. It's like a shower after working out in the dirt and grease, it feels great to simply wash things clean..."purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean, wash me and I shall be whiter than snow."
Confession, someone said, is good for the soul. I agree. It brings about a realization that Jesus' death is real, it was for my sin that he died, and to ignore the reality of my sin is to ignore the reality of his death.

The second thing at this station today is the words, "today you shall be with me in paradise." As a Christian I have always understood the words as the promise - stated by the Apostle Paul - "that when we are absent from the body, we are present with the Lord." Again, I love that, and don't dispute that at all. What hit me is the word, "paradise". What I realize is that terrorism has rendered that word both mythical and in some ways, as nonsense. Religious fundamentalism in Islam has meant young men will strap bombs to their torso and blow themselves up in the name of their god, because of the promise of ending up in "paradise" - a place of luxury, beauty, and virgins waiting. I scoff at such nonsense...but do I then scoff of paradise?

The word that Jesus uses is translated in greek as "paradeisos" - in otherwords, it's a transliteration, the English is essentially an equivalent of the greek word...it's rendering the word in English in its natural form, simply because there is no word in English that expresses well what it might mean. The word "paradeisos" only appears 3 times in the New Testament greek. Originally it is implied in creation in the garden of Eden, and it ends in Revelation. To the first of the seven churches in Revelation,
7 'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.' Revelation 2:7 (NASB)
Around 1600, Jan Brueghel (the Elder), a dutch artist rendered the biblical idea of paradise in a beautiful painting.


This is a long blog, and it I don't want to take away from the first part of it, that through confession we honor the death of Christ for us; but I also want to meditate on this beautiful word, "paradise", and let the beauty of Jesus' word to the thief bear the weight of forgiveness, promise, hope, that it was meant to convey.

A Prayer:

"Father of mercy and grace, Jesus Son of God, redeemer and friend, to you belongs worship and adoration. It is through your suffering that I become a partaker of the glory of paradise. Lord, I wait in expectation. Lord, today, I confess before you my sins, and I acknowledge that my sins put you on the cross. In your love and mercy, forgive me and help me to live these days on the earth for the glory of your Kingdom. Someday Lord I have hope in seeing your paradise...the home built for me through Jesus my Lord. Amen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov