Skip to main content

Potpourri - Why Do People Who Don't Know, or Even Care to Know God Seem to Prosper Just Fine?

I've been teaching a Summer Series called “Potpourri”.  It’s a series of teachings based on topics, scripture, themes, our fellowship’s folk sent to me to teach on.

I’ve done four so far…and posted them previously.  
Last week we dove into this one on why people who seemingly don’t care about God do just fine in life, in fact, seem to do better than believers.

I have to say, I’ve thought about this a number of times in my own life.  It makes me aware of the recent teaching on jealousy and the subject we dealt with on “where is God when people suffer?”. 

We can’t help but wonder why God seemingly blesses those who don’t care and allows those who do care to go throw life with some difficult issues.
In fact, I would say some people argue that this is why they don’t believe in God – because there seemingly is no difference…

Well, that’s not the final issue, and that’s what we need to see… I'll begin this today and (hopefully) complete it tomorrow.

The issue is anchored in one of the Psalms

Psalm 73:1-12 (ESV)
1  Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
2  But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped.
3  For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4  For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek.
5  They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind…

11  And they say, “How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?”
12  Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches.

I gave my life to Christ when I was 20.  Went to Seminary after graduating from college – in Chattanooga, TN.  By the time I was done with Seminary I was 25.  I had a Master’s degree and school debt, and no church.
So, we came back to Wisconsin.  I got a job selling insurance.  I met 2 Christian farmers in the Randolph area while selling insurance and it was through them that I eventually began to pastor the Congregational Church in 1977.

What most people don’t know is that I tried to bargain with God to not Pastor, but instead to sell insurance.  Why?  Well, it was simple...I had worked all the way through Seminary, sometimes at three part time jobs.  IFor a time in Chattanooga, I was on the faculty of the school teaching in the college, but I still worked outside of that to make a living. The most money I had made through those school years was in 1974, and it was about $7000.

I came back in 1975 and I got the insurance job and I was given an area to sell, as well as a bunch of leads.  Selling insurance is a feast or famine kind of thing…but I was good at it.  In my first year I became “Rookie of the Year” in the company, and made over $25,000.  How much is that today?  With the price of inflation at 3%, it is about $112,000 today.  Not bad.

Everyone in our company did fine.  They owned their own homes, had a couple of cars, boats, golf, winter trips to warm places, etc…

SO…when Sam asked me to come and preach at the church, I said “Sure”…and then within a few weeks the elders asked if I would be willing to become the pastor of the First Congregational Church of Randolph.  The Pay?  $300/month and the Parsonage was rent free.  We paid the utilities.  $3600 then with inflation factored in is $16,000 today.  $112,000 or $16,000?   

I knew that this is what God wanted me to do…and so did Linda; and yet surrendering the good income was a difficult thing to do.  I even tried to bargain with God but ultimately I knew that selling and pastoring weren't compatible things to do.  So I stepped away from my insurance job.  I can still see the look on my boss' face when I told him.  He couldn't believe I would walk away from a job I was doing well in.

As a Pastor, trying to do God’s call never meant we’d be well off.  When our kids were growing we usually lived paycheck to paycheck.  
As our kids grew up the amount of income I made increased and we weathered those years.  

In all of the years we saw God’s faithfulness to us.  We didn't have a lot of money, but we made it and that is only described as being contented.

SO…is that the destiny of those who walk with God?  To live humbly without a lot compared to those around them who seemingly don’t care about God and do just fine.

I watched neighbors go on vacations, buy new cars, fishing boats, etc…and I certainly wished I had the money to do those things, but we never did.  My neighbors were - for the most part - not Christians.  They slept in on Sundays, read the newspapers, drank coffee, relaxed and did their own thing.  They didn't suffer, they had money, they lived happily - it seems.

That’s a dilemma that this man, ASAPH… a writer of the Psalms…faces when he begins to write Psalm 73…

Psalm 73:1-15 (ESV)
1  Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
2  But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped.
3  For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4  For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek.
5  They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind…

11  And they say, “How can God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?”
12  Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches.

That’s the dilemma.

A Lot of people walk faithfully with God, love Him, Obey Him, and Worship Him, but their neighbors are driving new cars, lots of toys and a big house, etc…and they don’t care at all about God.

Asaph’s dilemma is simply this:  Why does God allow bad people to prosper?

Psalm 73:13-14 (ESV)
13  All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence.
14  For all the day long I have been stricken and rebuked every morning


What is Needed is a Biblical Perspective....That's Next:

Peace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad