Skip to main content

Day 38 - Maundy Thursday: The Last Night

Thursday was a day of preparation for the Passover meal.  It was a “Seder” meal with many symbols that went back to the original Passover when God delivered the nation of Israel from the slavery of Egypt.

Matthew 26:17-19
17  Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?”
18  He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.’” 
19  And the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover.

Preparation would have consisted of several things…and the meal was highly embraced by the Jewish faithful.  As they gather in the Upper Room, no one realizes it’s Jesus last night, or last meal with them.

John 13:1-5
1  Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
2  During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him,
3  Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God,
4  rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist.
5  Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

The first symbol was not on the Passover “to do list”.  Jesus picked up a bowl of water and began to wash the disciples’ feet.  This was a job that only the lowest on the servant list performed.  Washing feet was a servant’s role, but not just any servant; rather it was the lowest of the lowest servant’s role.

As he washed their feet the disciples must have been confused, bewildered, wondering what in the world is going on.

The lesson came from Jesus.
John 13:12-20
12  When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you?
13  You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.
14  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
15  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.
16  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
18  I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’
19  I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.
20  Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”

Jesus is soon to leave them, and the entire Gospel message was to be in their hands.  They wrestled with “Who” they were and “What” was expected of them.  We all do. 

Who are we?
Do we count/matter?
Do we have a place in God’s plan?
What does God want us to do?

Good questions, and we ask them – if we’re serious of our following Jesus – everyday. Jesus’ answer to them, to me, to us, is that he wants us to serve.  Serve for the sake of serving.

Not to be noticed.
Not to be recognized.
Not to be rewarded.
Simply serve, because it’s ultimately serving God.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

Yet immediately he says, “one of you doesn’t get it”… it’s Judas who has already made a deal with the elders and chief priests to betray Jesus to them.  The evening quickly changes. 

John 13:21-38 21  After saying these things, Jesus was troubled in his spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”
22  The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke.
23  One of his disciples, whom Jesus loved, was reclining at table at Jesus’ side,
24  so Simon Peter motioned to him to ask Jesus of whom he was speaking.
25  So that disciple, leaning back against Jesus, said to him, “Lord, who is it?”
26  Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
27  Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”
28  Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him.
29  Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.
30  So, after receiving the morsel of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night.
31  When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
32  If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once.
33  Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’
34  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
35  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
36  Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.”
37  Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”
38  Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.

Judas leaves…Peter and John question…Jesus speaks about what is the most important thing to learn.  Judas’ heart is filled with Satanic lies, deceit and is easily manipulated.  He leaves, and the rest don’t understand the significance of it.  Jesus makes a statement that must have furthered their wonder.  “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified with Him.”

The rest remain and the dinner goes on.  Jesus turns his attention to various things pertaining to his leaving.  He starts with the key thing:  Love.  He had said it to them before, “Love the Lord Your God with All Your Heart, All Your Soul, All Your Mind.”  It was what Jesus had modeled to them…the Son of Man is glorified, God is glorified…WHY?  Because he is fulfilling the servant role assigned to Him – he’s entering into the period of suffering that will lead to death, and he knows it is for God’s glory.

SO…the imperative for them – Love one another…JUST AS I HAVE LOVED YOU. 

Sacrificially, As a Servant…one who cares about God’s will more than your own recognition and role.

The evening goes on…Jesus speaks to them about his leaving…why he must leave them, and what he is going to do after he leaves…

John 14:1-2
1  “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
2  In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?

John 14:25-27
25  “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you.
26  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

It’s a bittersweet evening as the reality sets in…”what do you mean you’re going away, and yet you’re not going to leave us?”  It’s all very confusing.

They leave the Upper Room, it is late in the evening, and they walk with him through the temple area on their way to the hillside.  Jesus looks up at the vines growing from the two columns that serve as the entrance to the Holy Place:

John 15:1,4-5  
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser…  4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”

HE talks some more of what is about to happen, and promises them to be with them, and to send His Spirit to them to guide their ways. 

John 16:12-15
12  “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13  When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
14  He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
15  All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

It seems so surreal…what’s going on?  Why is He saying all of this? 

Then, He prays: 
John 17:1-5 1  When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,
2  since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him.
3  And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
4  I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.
5  And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

They hear the prayer and it becomes clearer…He’s praying because its all coming to an end, isn’t it?  He prays for glory to return…Divine glory that was there before he dressed himself in flesh as a baby in Mary’s arms some 30+ years before.  He had spent 3 years with them and his prayers remind them that he has loved them to the end.

John 17:9  I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

John 18:1  When Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples across the brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered.

They walk along, leaving the city to cross the Kidron valley and climb to the Mt. Olivet garden that is just outside the walls.  It is a place called Gethsemane.  It is the beginning of the end…and He knows it.

Matthew 26:36-39
36  Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.”
37  And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled.
38  Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.”
39  And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

The prayer is humanly real.  It is the prayer of every person who faces the sobering reality that this might not be healed, or restored, and things might only get worse.  The disciples sleep…they are exhausted from the long Passover day…and things are about to end.

Matthew 26:45-50 45  Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
46  Rise, let us be going; see, my betrayer is at hand.”
47  While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people.
48  Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “The one I will kiss is the man; seize him.”
49  And he came up to Jesus at once and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” And he kissed him.
50  Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you came to do.” Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him.

The end of the day…
The end of the Passover evening in preparation for the Passover sacrifice the next day…
the end of the time with His disciples…
the end of offering Himself to the nation…
the beginning of the end of His earthly life…

It is Midnight and Thursday yields itself to the next day – Good Friday.


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov