Skip to main content

On Giving God Our Minds

The mind is not something difficult to grasp.  Unlike the soul which is multi-faceted and sometime hard to describe, the mind is the place where we think, ponder, reflect, and understand what is going on in and around us.  Jesus went out of his way to make sure we understood the love of God must also become part of our thoughts.

Mark 12:30 (ESV)
30  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.

It's interesting because in the Shema, which comes from Deuteronomy 6, Jesus includes the mind though the original did not.  Why?
It is either a place of truth, or a place of lies, which means that either God is the pre-eminent way in which we think, or we are being fed lies by God's enemy, Satan.
Jesus said it this way in talking to religious leaders who did not want to hear the truth:
John 8:44 (ESV)
44  You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 

The Devil "does not stand in truth"...
"there is no truth in him..."
"When he lies, he speaks out of his own character..."
"He is a liar..."
"The father of lies."

Contrast those statements with what he had told them just before:
John 8:31-32 (ESV)
31  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,
32  and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”


There is in our mind a war of words...lies or truth.  I discovered that early on in my walk with Christ.  During most of my teen years, I lived apart from God's truth.  I fled my flesh with its desires all that was selfish, and of Satan.  There was a war going on in my soul, and I was yeilding it to the enemy every day.
Romans 7:23 (ESV)
23  but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 


That war is being fought in our mind.  It is the lies of the enemy that cause us to walk away from the truth of God that truly brings freedom.  In Romans 8 Paul speaks of the mind over and over again, telling us that yielding our minds to Christ is not just necessary, but liberating to the rest of our being.
Romans 8:5-6 (ESV)
5  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
6  For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 


We've heard it often - "a mind is a terrible thing to waste".  I agree.  God has given us a place to reflect and think so that we might find the truth of His love, grace, mercy, and peace...life and peace, Paul says.

When I accepted God's call to become a Pastor, I was drawn to the idea of the "Pastor-teacher" as Paul describes the gifts in Ephesians 4.  I devoured God's word.  It became so important to read, study, immerse myself in the liberating truth that came from it.  I don't want you to be deceived in reading this.  By no means did it mean I no longer had to deal with the lies, no they did not go away.  The enemy of our souls fights us on truth and lies every minute that we are alive.  But I found that the mind that God had given me was precious to Him.  He wanted me to know the truth, and in teaching I found a vehicle for further learning.

I teach in order to learn for myself.  I study to know the truth, and teach it, but that very word finds a place to bore itself into my own mind and heart before it goes out to others.
One day in Seminary I was listening to someone preach during a chapel service.  I don't know if it was his text, or if just came up in the message; but he referenced the Old Testament book of Ezra, and he talked of Ezra the scribal leader who had come to help the Jewish nation in the rebuilding of Jerusalem after the captivity.  He talked of Ezra's leadership and his courage; but what struck me the most was when he referenced Ezra the teacher - the one who fed his mind with God's truth and taught it to others:
Ezra 7:10 (ESV)
10  For Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the LORD, and to do it and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel.


That was when I decided the course of my life - this is what I wish to become, and I've never regretted it.

Give God Your Mind

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov