Skip to main content

Hungry

Hello my friends, back to blogging after a 10 day drought.  Sorry, I took some time off for some work around the house, and extra work in my areas of Pastoral ministry and college lecturer.

First though, let me add that I've been reading through the Pentateuch this summer.  (I read through the entire scripture in a year and finished that early in July).  In the Fall I begin my fifth year at Christian Life College - Madison as a lecturer and Academic Dean.  I love teaching scripture and I have a deep appreciation for Academics over more general ways of learning.  The Fall course is called "The Torah Story - a Survey of the Pentateuch" (which if you are not familiar with is the first five (Penta) books of the Bible:  Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy).  I am looking forward to this course as much as anything I've taught over the first four years.

Last week I drove to Chicago to give a lecture on the Process of Spiritual Formation.  This summer class of a dozen students sat with me for three  hours as we walked our way through various process items.  What would cause those students to take a two week lecture course, three hours a day?  What causes people to sign up for a college course in the Pentateuch?  What causes any of us to take extra time to dive into God's word to seek him, grow in our faith, and learn?

Hunger.

As I read through Exodus last week I came towards the end of the book and into the account of Moses' hunger for God.  It reads like this:

Exodus 33:7-17 (NIV)
7 Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the "tent of meeting." Anyone inquiring of the LORD would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp.
8 And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent.
9 As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses.
10 Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to his tent.
11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.
12 Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.'
13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people."
14 The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
15 Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.
16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"
17 And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."


Moses' request in vs 13 is simple:  "teach me your ways so that I may know you..."  Jesus said, "I am the way...".  God has a way that is full of wisdom, full of life, and fulfilling in every way.
Sometimes we tend towards our own self-absorption, self-pity and selfishness in general...the way of the Lord is a check on living in that kind of futility.
Moses' second request is "grant me your presence".
What I love about God's answer is the fact that with God's presence comes His rest!  Sabbath.

Hunger...hunger for God...hunger for something more than the blah of a self-centered life...I'm hungry.

Peace

Comments

Paul said…
E, Seems like Moses had the right idea about leadership. He knew he needed God's favor, help, wisdom, or whatever words you want to use to describe a sense of, "I can't do this on my own and I need you Lord to accomplish the task you have set before me. I am reminded of what Solomon asked for when God called him to lead his people. As you probly remember God provided everything Solomon asked for and much more because he answered correctly with a genuine want for God's wisdom to lead. Not a very selfish answer on Solomon's part. Why would He give us a snake if we asked for a fish? If we ask correctly He will give an abundance.

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad