Skip to main content

Death and Joy

Two blogs in one day!!!!  That must be a record.  There's a reason for this though.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go visit an old friend - Bill Howitt.  
Bill was one of those truly amazing individuals from my past.  Garrison Keillor talks about Norwegian bachelor farmers.  Well Bill was not Norwegian, but he was a bachelor farmer.


I met Bill as a young Pastor...First Congregational Church in Randolph had all of 30 people in it when I began...Bill was one of them. 
He was a quiet man...I never heard him once raise his voice beyond normal conversation.  He was a gentle man...when gentlemen seem to be lost in our world today.  
I never did figure out why he didn't marry; except for the fact that he didn't ask people for anything, so perhaps, he just couldn't ask a woman to go out?  
We met together for several years one on one - at his country house, for breakfast...he would cook it for me.  Coffee, eggs, toast, bacon, juice, potatoes...it was always bountiful.
We would talk...or should I say I would ask Bill questions...about life, about anything I could get him to talk about...I saw him as a Father figure, a spiritual mentor...someone who walked the talk and I wanted what he had.


Recently, I was told that he was in hospice care at the Manor in Randolph...so I drove over, and I got the opportunity to stop by and visit.  He was verbally unresponsive; but not in his body and soul.  He had had a stroke recently and it left him largely immobile and without the ability to speak.


I saw a couple of hints of a smile and he more than once he tried to move his hand/arm as I held onto his hand.  There was a man and woman there who I didn't know, but who were relatives and had been taking turns keeping vigil over him, so they prompted me to just talk to him...I did.

I told him that I had pleasant memories of breakfasts with him at his home.  That he had been a quiet faithful friend and support to me as a young Pastor.  

I told him that it looked like he was going to make to heaven before me, and that I would look forward to seeing him someday soon.  

I got those faint smiles and hand tugs during all of this.

I prayed for him...for grace in dying, for peace and rest in his body, for the love of Christ to envelope him...and I left, telling him I'd stop by again today.

No need to do so.  Bill went home to Jesus at 3 a.m. this morning.  He was 92!


Dance away my friend, dance away in the freedom of Christ!

"Don't we know our lives are but a vapor, here for a minute and then vanishing away".


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov