Skip to main content

Learning to be a friend

John 15:9-17 (NIV)
9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
17 This is my command: Love each other.


Most of have aquaintances but few friends...pity the person who has no friends.  Friendships can be fickle at times.
The idea of being God's friend might seem a bit "out of our league".
It's like saying I'm Aaron Rodger's friend, or President Obama's friend (OK, relax all that don't like  the President as a President).  It would seem preposterous for anyone to tell us they were friends of these kind of people.  We think of friends as "best", or "close", when we want to make a point of what they mean to us.

SO, God's friend?

James 2:23 (NIV)
And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

Jesus says, "I want you to love one another, and lay down your lives for each other and in the process of all of that you'll discover that you are my friends."
Jesus' relationship with his disciples seems to take a turn.  He is no longer calling himself the "Master", "Rabbi", but rather Friend.  It was an important distinction, because it leveled any sense of hierarchy and brought the relationship to a peer level.
I don't think the disciples thought for a second that they were Jesus' peers - but the fact that he would put their relationship on that level changed everything.

Yet, how is it possible to have that kind of friendship with God, and with others?

Jesus says:
"I have loved...remain in my love."
"Obey my commands, remain in my love."
"My joy is meant to be within you..."
"Love one another as I have shown you love."


All of these are crucial aspects of that kind of real love that leads to friendships.  Friendships love, look out for, challenge, don't let things go, "knows what's going on" behind the scenes.  For most people that seems more than they can allow in their lives, so people stay only as acquaintances, and not friends.
People remain acquaintances because we never move beyond the surface life.  We keep others at bay closing them off from the more difficult parts of who we are.  We put on a face and protect the interior of our soul from being revealed.
No wonder we have a difficult time believing God wants to be our friend.
Dr. J Oswald Sanders said it this way:  "We are as close to God as each of us chooses to be."


Can we believe that God wants us to choose friendship with him?  That he welcomes our desire to grow, to learn about being his friend?  That he does not sit in judgment but rather seeks to share life in love with us?
Learning to be God's friend might seem impossible, but the reality is, that's what he delights in our lives to be - learning to be his friend.

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad