Skip to main content

So, I turned 60 today

It's an ironic feeling that I am going through today. It's my 60th birthday and I don't feel any different at all from the day before when I was still in the 50's decade.
My brother is turning 60 today also. He's a great brother, and a good friend, even though he whines too much. That's him...he's not too bad looking for a 60 yr. old.
And so is Tom Watson, of Professional golf fame. We all came into this world on Sept 4, 1949...so did a lot of other people I'm sure.
My siblings are mainly older, so they are enjoying my coming into their decade. I have three older sisters, and one younger...and oh yeah, a brother who has gone on to be with the Lord along with my mom and dad. I was born in 1949...Harry Truman was president...bet you don't know his vice-president...shoot, most people don't even know who the current one is. [By the way, in 1949, Alben Barkley was the VP]. In 1949, Sara Lee introduce her cheesecake, and "silly putty" arrived, along with 45 rpm vinyl records. "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" made it's way into print, and so did "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller. In 1949, besides my brother and Tom Watson, Billy Joel, Merly Streep, Bruce Springsteen, and Whoopi Goldberg shared the year with us. I think it was a pretty good year for creating entertainers. But 49 didn't last but a year and we were in the 50's. I started school in 1955...no kindergarten, just first grade. Mrs. Peter's was my 1st and 2nd grade teacher...she was also my next door neighbor for a while.
I've lived through the bomb shelter era, the Russia-Cuba crisis, JFK's assassination, along with his brother Bobby and Martin Luther King. I made it through Richard Nixon and LBJ...both of whom I'm convinced were crooked. I shook Nixon's hand in an airport in Oshkosh in 1968 when he was running for President. Didn't tell my father who was a die-hard Democrat, but it did get him my vote that year, something I soon would regret. I made it through Seminary, which unless you've done it, you have no idea of what that really means. I love God, have since I was 19 and he found me in college. I survived the Vietnam era, and then the 70's...wow, anyone who made it through the 70's probably can't remember a lot of things about it...it was the blah era. I grew up in the 60's era a Packer fan, and have been hooked since. I became a Badgers fan in the early 80's and have been hooked since. I still remember the "Miracle on Ice", which is the most memorable sporting event in all of U.S. sports history - from my point of view.
I married the gal who help me find God, and we've managed to hang in there for 38 years...with four kids that I couldn't be more proud of. Thanks Linda, Kelly, Chris, Lindsay and Andy for loving me...I'm blessed.
It's crazy to think of it...I'm sixty! But it could be worse. My motto from this point onward: "Senior Citizen, give me my bloody discount!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov