Skip to main content

Advent Waiting

Today, as you light the candle for the first week of Advent – Read these following scripture:

Psalm 25:1-7 (NASB)
1 To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in You I trust, Do not let me be ashamed; Do not let my enemies exult over me.
3 Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed; Those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed.
4 Make me know Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths.
5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day.
6 Remember, O Lord, Your compassion and Your lovingkindnesses, For they have been from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; According to Your lovingkindness remember me, For Your goodness' sake, O Lord.

Lamentations 3:25-26 (NIV)
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

Advent as a season involves both waiting and preparation. I remember the days as a youth between Thanksgiving and Christmas…they seemed to last forever. I saw the busyness of the season, but for a kid most of it didn’t involve me, so I waited. It reminded me to include my own kids in Advent as much as possible as they grew up.

But it also begs the question for our lives: “Why is so difficult at times to wait?”
The Psalmist reminds us that waiting is expectant, hopeful, trusting. The first century Jewish faithful were “waiting” for the Messiah. What they had to go on was the promise of God through the prophets, but many had succumbed to disillusionment and doubt and had little expectations. Isn’t that often our dilemma of faith today also? We have succumbed to doubts, fears, the disillusionments of the world around us and so we have little we expect of God’s coming into our lives.

The words below come from one of my most favorite authors:

“Waiting is essential to the spiritual life. But waiting as a disciple of Jesus is not an empty waiting. It is waiting with a promise in our hearts that makes already present what we are waiting for. We wait during Advent for the birth of Jesus. We wait after Easter for the coming of the Spirit, and after the Ascension of Jesus we wait for his coming again in glory. We are always waiting in the conviction that we have already seen God’s footsteps.
Waiting for God is an active, alert -- yes, joyful -- waiting. As we wait we remember him for whom we are waiting, and as we remember him we create a community ready to welcome him when he comes.”

Henri Nouwen,
In Joyful Hope: Meditations for Advent

* In what places of your life have you been waiting for the Lord?

* Is that waiting a hopeful waiting -- or a waiting of despair?

Hebrews 11:1 (NRSV)
1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

The Message translate this verse:
1 The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. Hebrews 11:1 (MSG)

Let us take a posture of faith and hope – of expectancy that God is always worth waiting for.

A Prayer:
“Lord, in these early days of Advent I so much want to meet you in celebrating Christmas. I long for this season to speak to the depths of my being. This season is about you…You came to us in your incarnation and I want to celebrate that throughout the next four weeks - “glory to you God in the highest”. Lord Immanuel, King of Kings and Prince of Peace, help me to be alert throughout this season in waiting for you. I long for your presence and I need your persevering faith to help me maintain this journey with you.” Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dad,thanks for this post. It hits me where I'm at. I often despair and hope in the same breath. This reminds me to hope more.

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, Day 25: Christmas Eve - God Loves Us (So We Can Relax)

For Kids: There’s a lot of things we have to do each day. Get up from our sleep, Get dressed, Eat Breakfast, Get ready for School, Listen to the teacher, play with friends, eat our lunch, and after it’s all done, go back home. There’s time to play, Then we eat our supper… And eventually we have to get ready for bed and go to sleep! And then we do it all over again the next day. Sometimes there’s a vacation - like right now - and we get more time to play, to have fun and not have to do work at school. Our parents are good at helping us know what time it is and what we need to do next – even when we don’t want to move on to the next thing.  God is also good at helping us know what time it is, and what is next.  He doesn’t shout at us, or yell, or even scream…he does it peacefully, quietly.  He wants us to understand that he does it, most of all, for us. Christmas can be quite busy and there’s lots of things going on at once…but let us not forg

The Tabernacle

The readings today are Exodus 36, 37, 38 I wanted to post some pictures of what these various parts of the Tabernacle looked like. It's not the easiest read in the world, but if you persevere through it, you can get a picture of all the different pieces that made up the tabernacle. It is a replica of the various parts of the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: First thing in the chapter listed is the outside of the tabernacle which consisted of curtains tied together and put on cross bars through loops. Next at the beginning of 37 is the table and lampstand: Also, the altar of incense: And, the altar for the burnt offering which was in the courtyard: Finally, the courtyard which made it all come together: Hope that helps with what it might have all looked like. Most importantly, this was their "place" of worship they were building. I hope you have a great day of worship. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The difference between defending and explaining

The news of recent has focused the suffering of Christians in the middle east who have been martyred for their faith in Christ at the hands of Islamic Terrorists. Through the centuries many Christians have lost their lives as a result of their faith. For us, who live in America, there is little chance that we would have this happen here - but it's entirely possibly that terrorism will strike out at Christians sometime.  But, for many Christians in the western world - especially here in the U.S. - being a Christians who believes God's word there is a form of persecution that is defined by words like "ostracized", "passed over", "ridiculed", and more. What do we do in the face of opposition to faith? When the Apostle Peter writes to the early believers who are undergoing great pressure, even persecution for their faith in Jesus, he gives them this charge. 1 Peter 3:8-18 8  Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly lov